Tuesday, January 12, 2010

'Poppin' in

Several months ago Nolan and I set about deep cleaning our house. Not a fun time for me because I have terrible allergies. Turns out, sweeping dust into the air sets of said allergies (which is why I avoid cleaning in general).
In the midst of all this merry-making I texted my friend and asked if she had Mary Poppins' number. If she couldn't come snap her fingers at least she'd have a peppy song to pass the time. Sadly, my friend had misplaced Mary's number and we were on our own. Later that evening; however, Mary Poppins appeared on our doorstep in the form of the 40th Anniversary 2-Disc set. No explanation why she wasn't around earlier though.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago when Emery spent time in Wellington. She fell in love with Mary while watching along with Grandma. Mom said she watched it several times. She loved it so much, in fact, that shortly after Em & I were reunited she dragged me into Aunt Bethany's room and turned the video on. Now we're more thankful than ever that Mary appeared at our door that night. Who knew we'd need it?!
We've watched Mary, Burt and the gang dance around 3 times already this week. I've heard the "wooden leg named Smith" joke 3 times and I still smile. I've heard the same gentle lessons told through catchy, witty songs 3 times and still sing-along. I have to say, I love it. What a great movie! Emery doesn't always sit still through cartoon movies (except Wall-E and Ratatouille) but she's mesmerized by Mary Poppins! She's a girl after my own heart! I can't wait to share more classics with her!
On behalf of Emery, I encourage you all to watch Mary Poppins! (or "Poppin!" as Em calls it) You won't regret it!

3 comments:

Ian said...

have you tried bed knobs and brooms sticks yet or sound of music?

Amanda and Nolan said...

I have seen Bed Knobs & Broomsticks in my childhood but not recently and I only LOVE sound of music!! Thanks for the suggestions!

paint_pants said...

Mary Poppins was my favorite as a little girl! It was the first movie my mom got for me :)
if Em ends up loving musicals you must add Music Man and My Fair Lady to the mix!!!