Thursday, March 10, 2011

say yes to strangers

This morning Emery and I splurged for breakfast at McDonald's. What I never seem to remember is that the entire senior citizen community of Lincoln also dines at McDonald's for breakfast. The only secluded tables available were tall bar tables. Not a good situation for two shorties. We tried to sit at the end of a table but the couple informed us they were reserved seats. Then an older gentleman who was sitting with two of his cronies said we could sit with them. I was nervous and Emery even turned to me and said, "Mommy, I'll be shy." How could I refuse this stranger?! I'm so worried about disappointing people! So I said yes, of course and we joined the menfolk. Turns out, they were super friendly. Darrell and Jon (I didn't catch the other man's name) are brothers and they engaged Emery in conversation smoothly enough to wipe away the shyness all together. Apparently Jon has lots of animals on his farm and Darrell plays the harmonica, the dulcimer, and something called a sultry. I also found out his wife works at Kroger and will give out free samples of cheese to the little folks. All good information! I get easily flustered in situations like not being able to find a seat and these gentleman were completely obliging. I appreciated that Emery got to visit with people from a different generation and she ate up the attention!
When we left Emery kindly thanked them "for talking to me" and I'm looking forward to the possibility of dining with them again!
It's really easy for me to get in a comfort zone and stay there forever. (and ever). I don't know why I'm so apprehensive to talk to people or quick to choose a secluded table; especially since most days I crave adult interaction!
I learn about myself, my daughter, about our community, and about enjoying people where they're at each time I have an encounter like this morning's. I also want to teach Emery that people matter more than our agenda and our comfort zones.

1 comment:

Z-Kids said...

Hi Kettermans! I know you already saw you've won a copy of Chuckling Duckling... Congrats! If you can send a mailing address to me via email I'll get it sent out to you soon. Thanks! aaronzenz at yahoo dot com